[hackerspaces] Hackerspace business plan

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Tue Jun 29 10:17:27 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:08:13AM +0200, Peter Ing wrote:
> I am trying to get a Hackerspace going in South Africa. Instead of a
> business plan I drew up a document that explains what a hackerspace is
> and what the intentions and outcomes are.
>
> This document is for potential partners who would be willing to
> provide resources and space for the hackerspace to use.
>
> Here in SA its not feasible to setup a hackerspace like a business and
> I suspect the same may apply in most parts of the world.
>
> Thats just my 2c

I would say that a business is the anti-thesis of a hackerspace. A business
is profit driven. In any setting where you are profit driven, I personally
would refuse to volunteer for anything. If I paid for the businesses' services
I would expect a certain level of services.

The community part is very strong in how I see what hackerspaces are, and you
wipe that out once you go commercial. Sure, you can make a community around
your product, but that will be a marketing vehicle, and not give you the
commitment a real community gives.

Gr,

Koen