[hackerspaces] Hackerspace business plan

Elmar Lecher mc.fly at ramdrive.org
Fri Jul 23 03:34:46 CEST 2010

Koen Martens schrieb:
> I would say that a business is the anti-thesis of a hackerspace. A business
> is profit driven. In any setting where you are profit driven, I personally
> would refuse to volunteer for anything. If I paid for the businesses' services
> I would expect a certain level of services.

The business plan is not about doing profit.

Its about realizing when you dont have enough money to afford it
anymore early.

We did a plan for the expected plan and for the borderline plan.

The Borderline plan just pays the bills while the expected has some
money left for projects and buildout of the space.

> The community part is very strong in how I see what hackerspaces are, and you
> wipe that out once you go commercial. Sure, you can make a community around
> your product, but that will be a marketing vehicle, and not give you the
> commitment a real community gives.

Noone was talking of going commercial. The hackerspace survey shows it
clearly that most hackerspace interested people dont do it to earn money.

But you know, you have to be sure to be able to pay the bills. If you
need to shut down the space after 6 month due to being low on money.

Also it suxx to hunt money all the time

mc.fly ...