[hackerspaces] kids, insurances, parental control

Ron Bean bucketworks at rbean.users.panix.com
Wed Jan 27 14:14:03 CET 2010

asbesto <asbesto at freaknet.org> writes:

>So, for us, an "hackerspace" is our home. Many of the times IS really our
>homes, because many hackerspaces here was born in squatted spaces: a lot of
>insecurity, a lot of dangerous stuff around, and a lot of kids. Our homes.

Squatting is different from having your name on a lease. Landlords
usually require us to have insurance. Insurance companies have their own
requirements.

Also, bringing in kids you don't know is different from a member
bringing in his own kids.

We had one landlord express some concern about kids from the nearby
technical high school, because they sometimes start fights in the
neighborhood. Our response was "those kinds of kids usually aren't
interested."