[hackerspaces] Children in hackerspaces.

Nick Farr (hackerspaces.org) nick at hackerspaces.org
Tue Jan 26 21:22:47 CET 2010

Two questions:

1) How old were you when you got involved in hacking?
2) How many of you actually have kids?

I'm guessing that most of you were somehow hacking on something well
before you turned 18.  I'm also guessing most of you don't have kids.

That we're sacrificing not only the future of Hacking in general, but
THE FUTURE for *insurance reasons* strikes me as a horrendous FAIL.
This is the same kind of thinking that led people to believe it was
far too risky to build a Hackerspace at all.

Can we perhaps have a discussion of ways we could possibly accommodate
kids, of perhaps engaging our communities, parents, and others younger
than we who could benefit from the Hackerspaces?  Could we point at
some success stories?

That this conversation ended this way signals to me that Hackerspaces
have peaked, and that it's all downhill from here.

Nick Farr / http://nickfarr.org / 8B13F204
Washington, DC, 20013-1208
P: +1 (707) 676-FARR
F: +1 (866) 536-2616