[hackerspaces] Children in hackerspaces.

Eric Gerlach eric+hackerspaces-discuss at gerlach.ca
Mon Jan 25 14:55:24 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:16:53PM +0100, webmind wrote:

> Eric Gerlach wrote:
> > Any time I've heard about a hackerspace banning kids, the word
> > "Insurance" has always been nearby.
> >
> > It's all about liability or the perception thereof.  If you have an
> > insurer that is okay with it, sweet.  If not, prepare to pay to allow
> > those kids in.
>
> I agree, up to the point of the last 2 sentences. Everyone seems to be
> very worried about liability, in way that common sense and mutual
> respect are just no longer in existence.

I hear you and agree completely.  I wish it weren't that way, but here
in Canada, we had a really hard time trying to find an insurer for our
space at all.  Since we don't fit nicely into an existing slot, there
was only one insurer we found who was willing to take us on at all.  It
really eased their worries when we told them we don't allow
non-parent-supervised kids in, and we have no members under 18.

I'm personally hoping that can change in the future.  I'd love to see
high-school classes taught in our space.  It would be awesome and get
kids hacking.  But that day may be a ways off.

Cheers,

Eric