[hackerspaces] Children in hackerspaces.

kwadronaut kwadronaut at autistici.org
Sun Jan 24 11:54:17 CET 2010

I think you should approach them just like others. Take prior knowledge
and skills into account and start having fun. In my experience little
toddlers like to draw or watch some nice video-art with clocks and
numbers. But maybe it's not the brightest idea to let them use the
welding equipment.

Besides that, when I'm having troubles to take something apart that
isn't meant to be taken apart (think: cheap electronics), kids somehow
manage to take it apart without much damage. As long as your hackerspace
doesn't change into a sweatshop i don't see any reason to close the door
for kids.

Why, Matt Joyce, are you shouting out and saying it's contentious? I'm
missing your arguments. Of course every hacklab is completely different,
some have insurance and rent, others not, some people don't like to have
others watching their hands so given the local circumstances you might
want to have the kid caretakers around or only allowing kids during
certain hours, because they sometimes need a little bit more attention.