[hackerspaces] Cabin Fever Expo

Hank The Curmudgeon hkrishman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:32:35 CET 2010

The machines pictured in the slide show are truly amazing! Notice the
size and construction details.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22103061@N00/sets/72157623211731766/show/with/4275473316/
Be sure to check out the gasoline powered pogo stick towards the end
of the presentation!

Keep in mind that all of this stuff was built, typically in a garage
or basement, with tools and equipment that would be found in a
hackerspace with a well appointed metal working shop. And I seriously
doubt there was any CNC to be found in these models.

Cabin Fever Expo: http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com/

I feel a bit of social commentary is in order: Did you take any notice
of the people manning the display tables and of the crowd in general?
All of retirement age or better. Where were was the 15-49 age group?
Can I assume that the skills and interest in spending 100+ hours to
build from scratch, to operate and maintain such machines, fully
functional in every detail, is going to disappear with that
generation? What does this indicate of the skill sets to produce
machines at full scale? Perhaps it is true what the pundits are saying
about America: We, as a country, no longer produce anything
[physical]. Your typical urban high school, where the machinist was
historically groomed to start their apprenticeship, no longer has in-
house shops of any type. I am deeply concerned and saddened by this
trend.