[hackerspaces] Inter-Hackerspace Cooperation and Membership

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 23:02:31 CET 2010

Hmm,
I think part of the confusion is over what 'membership' is. When I
talk 'or write' about 'membership' I'm taking about things like
getting keys to a space, voting on proposals, borrowing equipment,
getting 'member' cost on parts/classes. Getting root access to servers
run by the space, getting into 'member only' areas, etc. I'm not sure
if that is what other people mean by 'membership', but I'm not just
talking about using the Guff (general stuff) at  a space when I visit.

I think everyone is in violent agreement on how to treat visitors.
But where and when can (for example) can  HacDC vote on a proposal at
Hive76?  Or what does it take for me to get keys to Alpha One Labs and
NYCResistor, so I can let myself in anytime?   Is there an GPG style
trust network I can call on to get root on a server running an awesome
project in Seattle somehow?

And I don't think a single person on this list *ever* (just scowered
the back log) said this should be centrally controlled or managed, so
I think everyone saying 'this should be distributed' (me included)
are in violent agreement.  Can we mark that line of discussion as
'agreed on' and drop it?

Thoughts? Feedback?

hack on, and hoping for feedback,
- Far McKon