[hackerspaces] Inter-Hackerspace Cooperation and Membership

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Wed Jan 13 11:50:29 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:37:19AM -0800, Paul Bohm wrote:
> guys, why is it suddenly a good idea to solve the potential problems
> of a potential future with complicated rules and inter-hackerspace
> contracts?
>
> i'm still on the don't try to fix problems that don't exist page!
>
> if you're about to travel, having your friends introduce you to their
> friends in other cities and countries is the way to go.
>
> no one's gonna be friendly to you because of some international
> bilateral contract, no matter how many pages long, but because you're
> cool, and your friends have introduced you to us as being cool.

Hum, i'm trying to solve an existing problem actually. I'm not suggesting international
bilateral contracts, just writing down some thoughts that I have discussed with several
people. And the scope is really limited to Dutch hackerspaces, which is nice and easy
to oversee (.nl is a really small country and basically everyone in the community knows
everyone else).

The existing problem is that there are more than a handful of people who want to support
the local hackerspaces movement, which is currently upcoming in our small country, but
don't want to commit to one specific hackerspace.

Instead of letting that pool of support go to a waste because it is not accommodated,
i want to create conditions for that potential support to convert into real support.

Best,

Koen