[hackerspaces] Inter-Hackerspace Cooperation and Membership

Far McKon farmckon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 21:33:27 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Sean Bonner <seanbonner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the organic, chaotic, things just working out, nature of
> hackerspaces is part of what makes them so great and that can be
> legislated out of existence which I'd hate to see happen.

I completely agree with the new turn in the conversation, and also
mentioned it earlier in the thread. Spaces should be allowed to work
out their own system, and we should be encouraged to try some
different stuff, and see how it goes, and share with other spaces how
we work.  Over time, some best practices will become obvious.

 I would like to get this info on the wiki, in a clear way, so it's
available and easy to find.

1) Hackerspces generally welcome people. (See the section Visitors)
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Roaming_Membership_(USA)#Visitors

2) Some Hackerspaces *already have* special membership agreements between.
At a minimum PSOne and CCCKC have special membership.  I don't know
the details of it, but can someone from one of the spaces add their
info to the page. Either under the appropriate section, or under a new
section describing the collaboration

3) Some hackerspaces automaticlly claim everyone as a member
At least 3 spaces automatically give all other hackers are full member rights
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Roaming_Membership_(USA)#Automatic_Basic_Membership

4) If you (or hackerspace you know) had a special membership
cross-agreement, can you please add it?
I'd like to have the info there so we can see how collaboration is
going,  see what works and what doesn't, and let people try to copy
existing working models of cross-membership.

Good information is the basis for good decision making, so hop on that
wiki and add your space (if you have cross-membership).

hack on,
- Far