[hackerspaces] Inter-Hackerspace Cooperation and Membership

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 18:01:15 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:12 AM,  <quemener.yves at free.fr> wrote:
> ----- "Koen Martens" <gmc at sonologic.nl> a écrit :
>> I also don't think the money will be just given away to the
>> participating hackerspaces (although in the proposal, if all
>> hackerspaces decide to do this, that's ok). I think of it more as a
>> fund for common resources. Maybe collective insurance for example, or bulk
>> buying of components or tools to get discounts.
>
> Why not having a per-project approach ? I mean some projects interest some hackerspaces more than others. The more security-inclined hackerspace will see less interest in sharing the cost of a milling machine in a fab lab than sharing costs to have a group discount to a security conference (that mechanical fab geeks will be less interested in). Why risk having endless debates about the utility of a project that interest only half of the members when one could have a more flexible approach ?

Hi all. I'm new around these parts and would like to see what others
think about per-project organization across hackerspaces. I'm not
saying I'm for it or against it, but just that I'd like to see some
more discussion on that idea, rather than cross-membership policies.
:-) Ready, set..

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507