[hackerspaces] Inter-Hackerspace Cooperation and Membership

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Fri Jan 8 15:50:45 CET 2010

Hya,

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 03:44:47PM +0100, quemener.yves at free.fr wrote:
> As an outside armchair observer, I would just like to point out something that I anticipate to cause some problems :
>
> ----- "Koen Martens" <gmc at har2009.org> a écrit :
>
> > 1.2. Roaming fee collection
> >
> > Roaming members pay their dues to the Hxx foundation, who
> > collects the money and puts it in a special fund. The fund
> > will be spend at the discretion of the participating
> > hackerspaces.
> >
> > To keep things simple, the money from the fund may be spend
> > only if all of the hackerspaces (by way of their governing
> > body) agree to the expenditure.
>
> So one blocking person may be enough to block a situation where some money is involved ? Expect drama.

Indeed.. The potential for drama is limited by the fact that this is
largely a social thing.. An understanding between hackerspaces. .nl is
small enough that we all have close ties with one-another. And in the
end, the proposal only is that: an understanding between hackerspaces.

Anyway, i'm curious as to how to rework that part so as to avoid drama,
without instating complicated schemes and conditions and all (ie.
over-formalizing). One option would be to put the spending at the
discretion of the Hxx foundation itself for example.. Nice and simple.

> > 4.3. Miminal reciprocity
> >
> > It might be felt that a given hackerspaces does not provide
> > enough reciprocity in the sense of paragraphs 1.1 and 2.1.
> > of this document, while still making a claim to the funds.
> > In this case, the hackerspace might be unanimously excluded
> > from this program by the remaining hackerspaces.
>
> So what prevents the same nasty guy to pretend he represents two hackerspaces ? Or to come with one of his friends ?

Social control. Plus, you actually have to be a hackerspace. A single
guy/girl doesn't have a say, only a hackerspace (by way of its governing
body, whatever that may be). But indeed, there is nothing formal in
there that prevents someone from setting up two hackerspaces. Although I
suspect that would be a lot of work (remember, it has to be a convincing
enough job so that everyone else in the world really sees it as a
hackerspace) for a limited pay-off..

Gr,

Koen