[hackerspaces] insurance

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 01:12:55 CET 2010

The issue of alcohol and other specific activities can be pretty variable.
Our insurance agent basically looked at carriers that didn't _exclude_ the
things we wanted to do. For instance, we disclosed that we did light
industrial work, including soldering and welding.

Some of them didn't want anything involving welding, others didn't care.
Some of the landlords we talked to forbid any kind of automotive work.  We
tried to get the space and insurance policy that left the most options open
to us.

Some carriers will want to just take a picture of the outside of the shop,
while others will want to do a detailed inspection.

Another friend of ours runs an art gallery in an industrial area in the next
city over. For some reason, that city made them specifically agree never to
have any alcohol on their premises in order to get zoning approval for their
business license.

I would be upfront with the insurance agent and let them figure out the best
way to get you the coverage you need.

Arclight