[hackerspaces] RE : Re: hackerspace awards

Tim Krabec tkrabec at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:08:43 CET 2010

I think a High school like competition would be interesting
where a problem is proposed and a set of materials is laid out which
everyone can gather and use, tools would be open but materials would be
limited to those on the list.

The other idea I had was to do a traveling project, where spaces would
signup to complete as much as possible over the weekend, then must ship the
contents to the next space on the list so it is there by friday when they
could open the box, and start working come monday morning they'd have to
pack it back up and ship it out

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Philippe Langlois <
philippe.langlois at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm... this is an interesting pattern actually. Thanks.
>
> Le 12 févr. 2010, 4:32 PM, "riot" <lists.riot at fedev.eu> a écrit :
>
> Jeff Cotten wrote: > > Would any other hackerspace members be interested in
> organizing some kind of...
> As pointed out by many previous posters, imho competition lacks the overall
> opensourcy, diy, free spirit.
>
> But awards don't need such a hard competitive spirit.
>
> Here at Voidspace (CCCAC) we currently have one award for our members: EOTM
> (Employee of the month) which is awarded monthly to a single member who has
> done
> something good for the space.
>
> But everbody keeps this award (on his wiki-userpage) so we keep on awarding
> until
> everyone has one.
>
> Its rather pointless - but funny. And it might eventually encourage lazy
> members
> to actually get one ;)
>
> Cheers,
> riot