[hackerspaces] revspace and randomdata in the news re wikileaks ddos story

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Fri Dec 10 20:45:44 CET 2010

Voluntary participation in a ddos is illegal.

Additionally, as pointed out elsewhere, the ddoses imposed by anonymous
served the specific purpose of censorship.

That's pretty wrong.

Also, what gives anyone the right to commit themselves to a pursuit that
harms others?  A personal question no doubt, but one worth mulling over from
time to time.

Gmc wrote an interesting response to the recent arrest of a dutch teenager
in association with anonymous ddosing.  This is an opportunity for
hackerspaces to reach out to folks and engage them is discussions on what
ethical hacking is or isn't.  As well as an opportunity to channel peoples
frustrations into the constructive rather than destructive.

-Matt