[hackerspaces] revspace and randomdata in the news re wikileaks ddos story

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Fri Dec 10 20:18:57 CET 2010

Hi,
You mention DDoS in the present case but from what I understood, I
thought that these attacks were carried more by a big number of people
voluntarily giving their bandwidth through applications like L.O.I.C
rather than through an illegal botnet. Wasn't that the case ?

WARNING : possibly trollish material ahead. But it has been long since
the last one on this list, hasn't it ?

If so, I have a very hard time calling the "Avenge Assange" operation
unethical. I know that DoS are usually consider like a lowly technical
act, like some act of random and stupid vandalism.

However, consider a physical world protest : it blocks streets, it
causes problems, sometimes injuries, it is not a democratic process.
However, if tomorrow there was a protest blocking the streets of your
city to support Assange would you consider it unethical ?

Consider also what mastercard, paypal and amazon did to Wikileaks : it
is a plain "denial of service" in its first meaning. They denied their
services in the hope of censuring wikileaks out of the net. I understand
that responding with DoS attacks is not the ideal way of making
ourselves heard, but I unfortunately see no better one, especially when
you see the media coverage that was given to these. And in that specific
case, I find it very hard to call them unfair.

Technically not-impressive ? Indeed. Not hackerish ? Arguably not
(though the fact that it might be legal to do that the way they do in
some countries is worth some cred). Unethical ? I disagree completely.

Iv