[hackerspaces] Translating word 'hackerspace' to other languages?

Sylva1n sylv41n at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 20:36:28 CEST 2010

Well, for starters, I'm not too found of the term 'hackerspace'
because it puts an emphasis on what people in the space _are_ instead
of what they _do_
I'd prefer a term like hackspace or hackingspace.
But given the momentum the hackerspace movement now has, it is not the
time for a renaming or that kind of window-dressing, so I'll stick to
'hackerspace' :)

In Grenoble we chose "Open Lab" because that what we aspire to be: a
place for experimentation open to anyone that is ready to share and
learn ... and because the word 'hacker' tend to gather way to much
attention from French public authorities.

For reference on the different terminologies, I join a lil' graph (not mine).

Bye