[hackerspaces] languages! Re: Translating word 'hackerspace' to other ... ?

Stewart Dickson MathArt at Emsh.CalArts.edu
Sat Aug 28 20:02:47 CEST 2010

  When I attended ImagINA'1991, I met there a guy named Antti Kari from
Helsinki University.
For some reason, there happened to be hanging on the wall a geographical
taxonomy of languages.
Antti said, "Here, you see, Finnish is not related to any other
language, except maybe Hungarian, but not really."
http://www.pnas.org/content/85/23/9370.full.pdf
https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/index.html

German and English have a common root;  French, Italian, Spanish and
Portuguese should be inter-translated only through Latin;   Slavic
languages should be translated through Greek.

This is a lot of what Google | Translate gets wrong -- I think it tries
to translate everything through English.

Finnish branches directly off of the base root -- Proto-Canaanite?
Sumerian??

-Stewart