[hackerspaces] Translating word 'hackerspace' to other languages?

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 16:03:18 CEST 2010

this may be way to obvious, but since you didn't mention it, what's
the finnish word for a hacker, or what is the type of person usually
called?

And does it have to be 1 word?  on a pure technical standpoint,
"hackerspace" is an abuse of English, it should be 2 words, but it
being a sort of proper noun allows the liberty to taken and accepted.

I don't know the first thing about finnish, but a quick play with a
english-finnish dictionary lead me to hakka paikka which, in my head,
has a nice alliteration to it

another option would be to take it apart and back to the roots, maybe
as far back as latin, and see if you can bring it forward to finnish
in a sensible way.