[hackerspaces] need a hacker

Yves Quemener quemener.yves at free.fr
Fri Aug 27 10:19:15 CEST 2010

On 08/27/2010 09:56 AM, Jean de Largentaye wrote:
> Maybe it's obvious to everyone, but I'm surprised that no-one has
> highlighted this as a superb example of what happens time and again as
> long as the general public misrepresents what a 'hacker' is.
>
> It's a public relations fail. We can blame mass media all we want, the
> only ones who can fix it is us. That said, I think we're on the right
> track :)

I'm not so optimistic. I think the reception Noemi received is exactly
the reason why the general public misrepresents hackers. She came here
on a wrong perception and instead of correcting it, she was served a
theater play involving FBI. Great.

Now she has probably understood that it was just a joke. So for her now
hackers are not only people who break into private networks but are also
bullies. Yep, great PR fail.

Iv