[hackerspaces] There is no place like ::1

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Wed Aug 25 13:23:46 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 01:29:44AM -0400, Kive wrote:
> I certainly don't wish to resurrect the whole US-centric argument of whether
> or not a squat is legal/right or not..
>
> Many spaces around the world have demonstrated sustainable models in which
> hackerspaces may thrive. Just wondering... why do you *prefer* a squat, or
> consider it to be the default?
>
> Please forgive my North American ignorance, I'm genuinely curious.

Me as well, and I'm from The Netherlands :) Over here we see a movement to move
away from squats. Even the people who used to operate hackerspaces in squats
tell us: don't, it's so much trouble. In fact, apparently one of the older
hackerspaces over here stopped because they were tired of having to move into
a new squat every so much months (we're talking 80's/90's here).

Having said that, go Lille! Hope you find a space soon to realize your full
potential!

Gr,

Koen