[hackerspaces] gmc's tour of US hackerspaces (was Re: Hippie Hacker Tour 010)

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Wed Aug 18 14:11:59 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 08:47:33PM -0700, Don Ankney wrote:
> Vegas to NYC is about 4,000 km and there isn't a lot of density west of Chicago. You might want to bring some camping gear to spend some time in the national parks. Zion (where Bryce Canyon is) is right on the way, and you can run North through Salt Lake City into Yellowstone if you have time for the detour.

How does that actually work? Are there designated camping areas, like we have over here, or are you just allowed to set up a tent anywhere? Wouldn't I have to worry about serial killers and grizley bears walking around, or have I been watching too much movies?? :)

> My European friends often don't fully visualize how large and open the middle of the US is. There's a lot to see there, but a lot of it is outside of the cities.

I'm actually hoping to experience some of that legendary roads going on for hours without passing any other car. It sounds like a rather zen-like, meditative experience.

> And I'm seconding the invitation to hang at the Black Lodge in Seattle.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check that out!

Gr,

Koen