[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces as postmodern learning spheres beyond the virtual

Elgin Blankwater elginno at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 10:05:23 CEST 2010

Hi David,

I'm glad to see another person writing his thesis on hackerspaces. I'm
currently working on a Sociology master's thesis on 'hacking as a way of
life' at the University of Amsterdam. I keep a blog on my thesis as well,
although I need to update it quickly: http://heelveelkoffie.nl/ My first
post contains a pdf-file with my thesis proposal (which also needs a bit
updating). I didn't use a traditional research question, as I use a certain
type of embedded ethnography as methodology and I don't want to predetermine
my focus prior to the research. Being in the field for a while already, I
will focus on a theme, probably open-source and sharing. This has pretty
close connections to your subject of course.

I'm interested in your future findings and I was wondering whether you make
thesis publically available.
Good luck with your research,

Elgin.