[hackerspaces] London: Open source hardware user group (OSHUG) (April 29th 2010)

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 23:06:29 CEST 2010

Oh look,

http://oshugxmos.eventbrite.com/
http://oshug.org/

"The primary goal is to provide an environment in which those with an
interest in open source hardware can meet, share experiences and learn
from each other. It is hoped that events will be shaped by the wider
user group membership, and whilst meetings are initially being held in
London, they could be held anywhere."

"""
Open Source Hardware User Group

Event #1

An Introduction to XCore XS1 & Amino
Open source hardware is an approach to building physical objects with
the principle of allowing collaborative development, use and tinkering
through the liberal licensing of artefacts such as manuals, software,
schematic diagrams and CAD documents. Typical open source hardware
projects range from simple electronic circuits to digital and radio
systems, through reprogrammable computing platforms, to hardware that
combines elements of electronic, mechanical and software engineering,
such as 3D printers and laser engravers.

This is the first of what is hoped will become a regular event for
people with an interest in open source hardware. For the inaugural
meeting we are fortunate to have presentations from Prof. David May
FRS, CTO of XMOS Semiconductor, and Alan Wood of Folknology Labs.

XCore XS1 (XMOS)

David May will be known to many as architect of the transputer and
author of the concurrent programming language, occam. As co-founder
and chief technical officer of XMOS Semiconductor, he will be
providing an introduction to the XCore XS1 microprocessor architecture
and the associated development environment. [actual abstract TBC]

XMOS is a fabless semiconductor company that develops multi-core
multi-threaded processors designed to execute several real-time tasks,
DSP, and control flow all at once. XMOS coined the term
software-defined silicon, and this can be seen as midway between FPGA
and MCU. However, unlike an FPGA there is no requirement for a complex
HDL toolchain, and C and C++ can be employed in development, with XMOS
extensions to C for concurrency (XC).

Amino (Folknology Labs)

Amino: a networked creator tool for hardware and software production.
XMOS software-defined silicon technology serves to blur the line
between software and hardware, and Amino uses this technology to
further blur the line between prototyping and production. Amino is
also Internet native, event driven and optimised for concurrency, and
may be seen as a building block for networked open source hardware
creation.

Alan Wood - a.k.a. Folknology - originally trained in systems
engineering, got lost in software engineering and open source for a
decade, before returning back to his hardware roots via the open
source hardware and makers movement that has gathered momentum over
the last few years. Al's interest lay in pushing the envelope for open
source hardware/software production and agility: "We are approaching a
tipping point where open source and open creation physically changes
the real world not just the virtual world. With Amino we are selling a
creative tool, not a finished product. We are selling possibilities.
The participant decides what runs on it, not us. We just give them as
much as we can to help them through that process.".

At the conclusion of the formal part we plan to head across the road
to a pub, for open discussion and to plan future events.

Note:

    * Due to security arrangements it is vital that people arrive on
time, or if possible slightly early - any time from 17:45 is fine. If
there is nobody on reception please call 020 7960 1771 for access.
    * If capacity is reached and you would like to attend please
contact us, we'll put you on a waiting list and may arrange a larger
venue if there is sufficient demand.
"""

Hopefully they will be interested in collaborating with the broader
open source hardware community:
http://groups.google.com/group/openmanufacturing
http://groups.google.com/group/diybio