[hackerspaces] Size question

Mark Huson mehuman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 00:36:19 CET 2009

We had about 9 core members who were all commited to paying above our
proposed $50 a month member dues until we could get enough people to cover
expenses, 16 members covers all of our costs. Luckily in the first month we
had a radio interview and enough people interested in joining that August
was the only month people needed to pay any extra. All of our publicity has
been through twitter, that radio show, and word of mouth. We haven't been
evangelizing for the past month as everything gets settled but I think we
will start a member drive sometime in the next couple of months.

If anyone is looking for advice I'd suggest contacting any local media
outlets, they are always looking for a good feel story about a bunch of
people getting together to do cool things. Also talk about it at parties or
when you are out, I'm surprised at how many people love to tinker or are
interested in a place for geeky people. Third try selling the space as a
cheap coworking place for those who free lance. Our place is not as nice as
our local coworking space but its a hell of a lot cheaper.  And finally hold
frequent meetings, we are just cutting down from 2 a week but an openhack is
a great way to give people a defined time to come check out the space and
the people.

-Mark