[hackerspaces] HackerSpace movement, history and development

Jarkko Moilanen Jarkko.Moilanen at uta.fi
Sun Nov 15 19:36:47 CET 2009

Quoting Far McKon <farmckon at gmail.com>:

> I think that is pretty fantastic stuff, I've been reading backwards
> through your other posts. I'm glad the '6 core parts of a hackerspace'
> thing hit a bell somewhere.

Thank you for feedback and for stating the 6 core parts.

> One thing I noticed looking at your hackerspace dataset, I'd encourage
> you to take a 3 year of running as a base count for 'existence' of a
> space.  A lot of people want to kick off a space, but they (or the
> community) don't have the strength to follow through more than a  year
> or two.  IMHO, a space that exists less than 3 years doesn't add much
> data to the system. Or perhaps count spaces founded as 'existed more
> than 3 years' and 'existed less than 3 years.'  Or something.

Ok. Understandable and reasonable point. In other words, only
hackerspaces that have been founded 2006 or before and are still
alive/active would be the 'survivors', right? Later hackerspaces would
be 'candidate-survivors' :) Ok, I can go with that. But, can mere
existence be considered as a 'survived' or should the hackerspace have
some sort of activity (proven, how is a good question)? In my opinion
they should.

The only way to confirm the activity would be something like
contacting the hackerspaces and ask about their activity. Or if they
have a website with visible activity, check that out. Or check the
groups activities in the hackerspaces.org services (possible events
and projects). Or all of those. Nevertheless, this type of information
can not directly be found from the hackerspaces.org service (or I have
missed something).

Don't know is there any need for it either, except in cases like my
little study. As a matter of a fact, this is defining the border
between 'building' and 'active' statuses. Isn't it? But can it be
defined so simply by time? Perhaps not. I'll keep on updating the blog
post as new info (have updated some parts already) arrives or pops my
mind.

/jarkko "kyb3R"