[hackerspaces] Software Licensing

nicolle n. superherogirl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 00:15:24 CET 2009

i want to echo the legitimate licenses only rule.  software piracy that
individual members do on their own time and their own machines is their own
business, and i could care less if individual members have pirated software
on their own boxen.

it's a whole different ballgame when the hackerspace gets involved.  i'm not
comfortable with risking getting sued out of existence for having pirated
software on machines that belong to the space.  i'd rather explore open
source options, or if push comes to shove, buy a license if the space
absolutely, positively cannot run without something proprietary.  i'm not
willing to risk the space's solvency on not getting caught.

a world without proprietary software is something i would really like to
see...but not at the expense of our hackerspaces.

rogueclown