[hackerspaces] US hackerspaces - corporation formation and 501(c)3 status

beth beth at dc404.org
Thu May 28 19:26:22 CEST 2009

I agree with jur1st.

If you don't have time to find the same info on the web, these kits
may be a good idea, but they just get you started and don't answer any
questions.

Finding a local lawyers for the arts type group offering a clinic is a
good idea, check with your local pro-bono org or bar assoc. too.

Also, simply finding a local non-profit with a mission that is like
yours and asking them how they set up their organization/board and
bylaws etc and what issues they ran into can be invaluable. Here in
Atlanta, we found an arts organization that was set up specifically to
provide old printing presses and offered classes on their use. Their
mission was educational and creative. Alot of what they are doing
could be translated to what we are doing (providing access to
technology and education on how to use it).

Look at your area non-profits and ask them if they have someone who
can spend some time via email/phone/inperson telling you how they got
their 501c3 and how they overcame challenges and even what their
bylaws say. Most will be happy to lend a hand and you may find fast
friends and great resources too.

Filing these documents costs alot of money even without the lawyers,
so you don't want to have to do it twice, or be denied status. It's
worth a workshop/clinic fee.

(Also, dr.kaos, my better half, says there is a lawyer from Pumping
Station One in Chicago giving  a talk on this at defcon, go see it or
get the recording after.)

Beth