[hackerspaces] US hackerspaces - corporation formation and 501(c)3 status

jur1st jur1st at cowtowncomputercongress.org
Thu May 28 17:55:03 CEST 2009

I recall a commercial for a national tax prep firm which made an
excellent point about products like Turbo Tax. When you get audited,
who are you going to ask for assistance?  The software box?

Outfits like the ones you mention come with forms...that's it. No way
to talk through the issues which you bring up later in your
message...no opportunity to discuss other legal issues or risk
management with an actual attorney.

This culture is very DIY based...but legal and financial issues are
best handled by those that have backgrounds in law, tax, accounting etc.

You may want to consult with a local or regional law school to see if
they have clinics or professors who could help pro-bono.

-jur1st