[hackerspaces] status of this list

Jens Ohlig jens at ccc.de
Fri May 15 00:00:44 CEST 2009

Am 14.05.2009 um 23:36 schrieb druid at stonedcoder.org:
> now if the GROUP responds formally, saying "you are an instigator,
> based
> on this this and this", hackerY will not assume as he has in the
> past that
> the person criticizing him is just responding in kind, because the
> language will indicate the criticism has been well thought out.

This assumes a common set of values in the group that this group is
willing to defend against the instigator. With drastic examples like
the use of extremely derrogatory speech or ad hominem attacks, it's
probably easier to find a consensus. Things get a lot trickier if you
look at the examples of your original list: "religious and policitcal
issues, gender issues portrayed negatively, etc..." In that case a
group of 3 people can stop any thread they disagree with by requesting
that thread to be moved and seconding that. This may not say anything
about the position of the majority on the list.

Also, please keep cultural differences in mind (we're dealing with an
international audience here). The thing that made me very unhappy
about the thread in question that started this meta-discussion, was
that it became a flame-fest with ad hominem attacks. On the other hand
I was really confused when a group of people wanted to kill the thread
because it dealt with political issues. I may be totally wrong (I've
only lived in Europe all my life), but I got the impression that
discussions on political issues are often avoided among Americans
daily smalltalk, as it might offend those with a different opinion.
I'm not judgeing that, it's a perfectly fine example of a cultural
difference. Yet it feels foreign to me personally. On the other hand,
there are counter-examples to this, two people from das Labor in
Germany also voiced their opinion that they didn't care for political
discussions. So I may be wrong here.

Still, I believe it's tricky to impossible to objectively judge when a
thread should be removed, apart from the more drastic examples.