[hackerspaces] Hacking the Spaces: A critical acclaim of what was, is and could be a hackerspace (or hacklab, for that matter)

webzeug at gbks.net webzeug at gbks.net
Wed May 13 11:21:25 CEST 2009

I can't help doing it... :)
The first shown mail has forgotten an option: stop theorizing, start making.
Nerds/etc perhaps just doesn't want to put up with Stuff like that because it
belongs to Social Sciences.
(Perhaps concepts from that field were highly misused in the last century?
yeah, i'm really going to win new friends with my opinions.. :D)
(why am i reminded of the actual phd-comics? :D)
And due to the reference of closed minds in another mail... not liking these
theories and concepts has nothing to do with a closed mind or segregating
poor or multiethnic people.
I want to remind about the hackers manifest here... Hackers just don't care
about race, gender or origin. It's about tech and having fun with it.
Practical Solutions for other things, too(!).
New efficient form of protesting? Going to a Demo? Great. Other spaces wanna
do that as a group or a few individuals? Great.
But:
- don't proscribe others, who aren't into politics
- don't create metaconcepts all the time...
And i have seen it a few times in small groups (and interpreted it myself by
reading from history books for big groups), that after the creation of social
concepts groups or people, who doesn't fit in this concept, are, well,
segregated (therefore my fear of nonacceptance of neutral groups).
And then (attention, personal experience :D) i got to know hackers and
hackerspaces. They were "the first" who didn't theorize all the time. From
the bsd environment (afaik) i got a quotation, which shows this very
well: "Shut up and code". And i really like it.
It doesn't say that we should not talk. It says, we should DO and MAKE things,
instead of creating concepts which explain or generalize our actions (imo).

I don't want to attack here anyone personally, i just want to point out, to
which direction this manifest could lead.
And if i have offended people or they don't want to write responses because of
my textstyle, well, i'm truly sorry. I prefer to be scolded before people
stop communicating.

Cya.