[hackerspaces] Hacking the Spaces: A critical acclaim of what was, is and could be a hackerspace (or hacklab, for that matter)

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Mon May 11 15:36:08 CEST 2009

webzeug at gbks.net wrote:
> Somewhat, i really missed the point, where hackerspaces.org went from a lose
> promising collaboration node to an umbrella organization, which prescribes
> other subscribed spaces how to think and act. Because you want to create an
> utopia and every other thing is "not an option" for you.

As far as I'm concerned it still is, and is this list a way of sharing
ideas on hackerspaces, like 'we' are doing right now (not so much we as
you I supose :).

Hackerspaces.org is little more then a place to share ideas for/with
other hackerspaces, like how you think organizing a hackerspace works
best or what you think is important for a hackerspace. If you think
running your collective from a highly leftist-activist perspective is
important, do so. If you think it should be highly rightwing-capitalist
oriented, same story. Just never force it on another hackerspace.

That given, politics are -everywhere-. So the politics of running a
hackerspace will always be relevant, but keep in mind that your ideas
are yours.

I don't think any of the statemens -should- be read as general rules for
hackerspaces/hacklabs, in the end, You decide how you're going to run
it. If that means running a lab where everyone shouts 'jawohl' as the
Father enters, so be it. I'm just not going to give you much chance of
survival and will resist any force.

Just don't -give- hackerspaces(.org) more power then you want to. Or
anyone else for that matter.

Webmind
--
Re-inventing wheels and stating the obvious since the 80's