[hackerspaces] Thread which I nominate for death: "Hackingthe Spaces: A critical acclaim of what was, is and could be a hackerspace "

druid at stonedcoder.org druid at stonedcoder.org
Mon May 11 21:26:34 CEST 2009

Agree, common netiquette defines that on un-moderated lists, a call to
move a thread to another forum be respected, or at least not ridiculed.

Bottom line, sometimes there are threads that serve no good purpose. The
mentioned thread primarily served to provide a soap box for some, and a
place to unintentionally (I hope) ridicule someone repeatedly for what
they saw as simply writing an essay and asking for comments.

Organizations need a way to filter derisive threads from damaging the
community. For NYCR for instance Matt does that for the public list. If no
one wants to filter this list, that's fine, but the group does need the
ability to voice displeasure with a thread without fearing the vitriol
that Hellekin poured forth.

3ric did not censor anyone, he voiced his displeasure with the thread, and
essentially asked for those participating to take the conversation
elsewhere. I think it was wrong for him to threaten to unsub, but that
should have been interpreted as an indication of his passion on this
topic, and should have been respectfully adressed, not belittled.

This kind of topic is one of the things I consider most important for any
organization, self correction of out of control threads of conversation
that are doing more harm than good. I'm interested in seeing conversation
on this new topic, or to be flamed for continuing this meta thread, either
way it will be interesting and relevant to the organizational theory topic
in a way the thread that spawned this one was not ;)

-Eric