[hackerspaces] Thread which I nominate for death: "Hackingthe Spaces: A critical acclaim of what was, is and could be a hackerspace "

Matt Joyce mdjoyce at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:02:58 CEST 2009

I am going to be blunt.

When I woke up this morning I was expecting to see a continued debate
regarding the role of hackerspaces.org and the ways in which spaces can
function together so as to avoid publicity debacles ( which I think the
comments on this list define it as ) like the one that happened on
boingboing yesterday.  Maybe even some discussion of how we as diverse
entities could breach our own uncommon differences and work together on the
global stage when necessary.  Instead I found my inbox stuffed with a load
of nonsense and a number of poorly written and closed minded emails
concerning personal politics.   The simple fact is everyone on this list is
very obviously not capable of treating each other with an equal measure of
respect.

That being said, I'd suggest we go one step beyond 3ric's suggestion and
moderate the list for content.  I think everyone should have an opinion and
be allowed to voice it.  But no one should be given a platform to belittle
anyone else or their opinions.  We are not all the same and that's too great
a thing to lose.

Regards,

   Matt Joyce