[hackerspaces] Hacking the Spaces: A critical acclaim of what was, is and could be a hackerspace (or hacklab, for that matter)

webzeug at gbks.net webzeug at gbks.net
Mon May 11 14:44:26 CEST 2009

Am Montag 11 Mai 2009 02:52:12 schrieb Jens Ohlig:
> Sure, it's probably better to have a separate organization for
> questions like agricultural subsidy politics or car pooling or which
> party or candidate you should vote for in the next general election of
> your country. I couldn't care less about all this questions. However,

Yeah, this last sentence describes it pretty well. You couldn't care less.
About what other people are thinking or doing. As long as you can proclaim
your theories and force other people doing so.

> elsewhere. Just claiming that it's apolitical what we do is not an
> option for me.

Claiming? And.. have fun, if you can enforce in your hackerspace another
agenda. Good Luck for you, when your hackerspace want to act as an
organization influencing politics. But this doesn't automatically it have to
be that way everywhere. Several people in a hackerspace can do political work
on their own, no problem. But a hackerspace can be, indeed, stay neutral.

> Please look beyond the tone the monochrom piece is written in -- sure,
> it sounds a lot like leftist academia theory speak. I admit that this
> language, like Club-Mate, is an acquired taste: One gets used to it
> (or doesn't). Parts of the essay could be rewritten with less inside
> jokes mentioning Marx and Adorno and more Lolcats and Matrix quotes.
> But this is not really the point. The point is that we are doing

Yeah, that's not the point. It isn't about the choices of words. It's about
its meaning. And i don't like that one, even after sugarcoating it with
lolcatspeech :P

> something highly political here and I'd like us to think about the
> direction we are taking this before we wake up and realize that yet
> again things didn't work out like in the utopias that came before us.

Again: Not everyone wants automatically build an utopia.

Somewhat, i really missed the point, where hackerspaces.org went from a lose
promising collaboration node to an umbrella organization, which prescribes
other subscribed spaces how to think and act. Because you want to create an
utopia and every other thing is "not an option" for you.

Cya, angora