[hackerspaces] [hackerspaces-announce] BruCon in Brussels, Sept. 09

Benny Ketelslegers hacking at security4all.be
Sun Jun 28 15:02:58 CEST 2009

> and there is even people complaining that HAR or CCC is too expensive,
> with a 150 - 185 EUR entrance fee for a fully equipped week of camping

I know and I don't understand that. Have a look at a commercial event like
Blackhat and look at their income prices. If we don't support the ones you
mentioned, all we will have left is Blackhat, RSA, and others. If people
find HAR too expensive, they should find a weekend job like I did for 4
years when I was a student. Complaining is easy, doing something about it is
another.

>  1- who benefits? who is actually  earning $$ on it?

We started Brucon as a non profit organisation. Under Belgian law, it's
called a vzw, vereniging zonder winst. Most of the money goes to paying a
decent venue. We are all volunteers of which some spend 10 hours a week
setting this up, non-paid.

>  2- what do i get from it? is participation to such a conference going
>    to provide you with certificates, titles, paper you can use to get
>    a job  (or stuff like  that, if you  know what i mean)?   and even
>    then,  is  there  someone   taking  really  seriously  a  "brucon"
>    attendance certificate? how is all this spendable?

You can put it in your CV and show people that you actively try to stay up
to date on different topics. I'm happy to make you a certificate. ;-)

I go to these events, to meet other people, have fun, and learn other point
of views on life. For me, it's like going on a holiday.

  3- what is the "quality check" on such initiatives (if not a critical
>    thread  on  a  mailinglist,  and  a  web of  people  known  to  be
>    professional, at least)? is there a scientific committee?

Look at the contents and decide what you can get out of it and what
interests you. Please don't follow what other say or 'some' kind of
committee.

>  4- what about starting  to push  forward the  idea of  discounts for
>    "hackerspace members", rather than "students"?

I posted a hackerspace discount code a few days ago. Use HACKERSPACESORG07
to get a discount.

Yes, I'm on the Brucon crew. Not feeling targeted, just giving my opinion.
We are looking for a cheaper venue in Brussels and are just trying to
survive our first edition. If enough people come, we can lower our prices
next year. If you have connections in Brussels, let us know. We welcome all
help and feedback!!!

PS, if you are at HSF2009, get a brucon flyer at the income to get a beer
voucher for Brucon ;-)

Find me at HSF today, and you get a free beer immediately. I have a netbook
with a Brucon sticker. We can discuss thie over a beer.  ;-)

Best Regards,
Benny