[hackerspaces] June conference call

Dave Null noid23 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 20:54:58 CEST 2009

We've addressed these issues in our space recently. Similar to how
Makers Local 256 started, we had a core group of people that sat down
and figured out that we could pay X dollars a month, per person, for a
space then went and found one. Now, this meets your day to day
financial needs, but we became concerned that if one member dropped
out or couldn't pay on time we would be in rough shape. To remedy this
we asked that everyone pay 'rent and a half' for a bit to put some
extra funding into our account. The planning goal here was to keep
enough of a buffer in the account to pay for all of the space's bills
for 1 month if no one put any money in. Coming up with 'rent and a
half' can be a bit rough to suddenly appear on your radar so if you
are going to go that route then plan it in for the beginning of
things.

In regards to large purchases, we have been fortunate so far. Most of
the core members of our space have a ton of equipment, in fact its
this very issue that spawned our desire for a workshop. In the event
we need to make a large purchase (we are considering an air
conditioning unit right now to keep our server room cool) we discuss
it in a case by case basis at our monthly board meetings. In the case
of the air conditioning unit, we just accepted a new member into our
keyholding ranks and his first month's dues will help pay for it. Now
that we have more than the bare minimum of members (i.e. all original
costs were figured at 6 people @ 160 a month) any members beyond the
original six will put us into a surplus of cash.

At our shop, pop and beer remains free to everyone :) But we won't say
no if you offer to resupply either!

PGP Key ID: 0x0517358E
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they
are free" - Goethe