[hackerspaces] US hackerspaces - corporation formation and 501(c)3 status

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:21:07 CEST 2009

Doing 501(c)(3) is a pain in the ass for everyone equally -- it is independent of your organization.  There are lots of forms to fill out, questions to answer, budgets, bylaws, etc., etc.  On the other hand, the process is fairly straigh-forward -- you just have to go through it all.  We hired a lawyer who is experienced at bringing forming organizations from a bunch of internal discussions to acceptance of 501(c)(3) status -- she charged us $2,000 for all this.  If you can find a lawyer who is into what you're doing, as we did, maybe you can raise the money, as we did, to hire them to help out.  I am way glad we've had our lawyer's help in all this.

The IRS examiner's job is not to see whether they think your organization is worthwhile, but to see if it fits into the public benefit category of non-profit you're requesting, that it is viably financially, and especially to make sure that no one can take advantage of the organization to evade paying their share of taxes.

So, it really does not matter if you are promoting widgets, saving whales, feeding kids, or promoting community through education via hacking and hackers.  If you have a mission that fits in with a public benefit, have all the paperwork done, and jump through all the hoops, you can get 501(c)(3) status.

Mitch.