[hackerspaces] Vetting new members

albi albi at squat.net
Wed Jul 22 02:05:41 CEST 2009

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:51:13 +0200
jaromil <jaromil at dyne.org> wrote:

i thought about replying to this vetting-new-members discussion before,
but now you, jaromil, are replying and promoting monks and alcohol i
really need to reply :-)

seriously, .. i can understand why people want to get informed about the
past of other people before letting them into a hackerspace, however..

with that you are *not* giving them any other chance to forget about the
past, and therefore you're isolating yourself from others

i've been volunteer in both ascii and puscii (i'm the co-founder of
puscii, FWIW), and i've seen a share of junks and psychiatric patients
among visitors and volunteers, in fact, i have encouraged a good
friend, who is psychiatric patient since his childhood, to become
volunteer, and that went very well

to put it clear and simple, in general i strongly dislike (a.o.) :
- politicians
- junks
- cops
- yuppies

.. but by ignoring certain people just based on some police records
means building a default distance between yourself and other people,
and adding fuel to this world of fear we're living in

.. and jaromil, i think the word "love" is often overhyped, let me grab
this chance to quote some interesting words of one of my favorite
philosophers :

 "can there be love, when there is hate and fear ?"

p.s.
i'm very happy to have stopped completely with (the black poison)
coffee, and alcohol in jan. 2008!

a.