[hackerspaces] Hackerspaces talk at BIL? and... definitions/words

das ende der nahrungskette jg at monochrom.at
Tue Jan 6 14:42:09 CET 2009

> > >Freedom of choice is the Alpha and Omega of a human existence.
> >
> > ouch, that sounds a little bit to liberalish to me.
>
>don't know what you mean?!
>
> > but i guess i should not start political discussions here.
>
>why not? talking to clearify issues between different opinions of
>individuals is considered to be a good thing ;)

well, i’m not sure if this is really the
appropriate place to discuss, but i don’t believe
in freedom as dictated by liberal concepts (and it’s alphas and omegas).

liberal ideology is the ideology of so-called
personal freedom. and i highly distrust the very
concept of personal freedom. especially in a
world where there is not a single inch of
space-time left where you can be really free.
freedom of choice? we live in a world of late
capitalism, a world based on a very strict and
planetwide economic doctrine that leaves no
freedoms. it’s like a bloated deep-sea sponge
absorbing dissent and rebranding it as openness.

the “ideology of the free” is the ideology of the
“powerful individual” who happens to be at the
right place at the right time to grab its chance
­ and if not, well: too bad (you lazy bastard!).
the “individual” is a bloody abstract metaphor of
a blood-soaked ideology, used and re-used and
mis-used to sell “rights” for “free people”. it
is a blurred generalization of the life and the
economic values and the political interests and
powers and politics of the bourgeois (or to sound
modern: middle class), who always win the
economic war waged on the poor and exploited.
sometimes there are some classy members of this
classy class structure who sometimes feel
compassion for the poor, for the homeless, for
the oppressed - passing out dimes on the street
(or some abstract basic rights or schools or
prisons to be re-socialized within) to show how
much they really care. well. freedom of
expression does cover freedom of exploitation.

to sum up my rant. my personal sacred cow is
solidarity, not freedom. you know, i’m leftist.

all the best
johannes