[hackerspaces] Shop Access Control System

john arclight arclight at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 00:11:33 CEST 2009

Til,

I agree with you on the door hardware.  Most industrial/office spaces use
commercial mortise hardware which is not like the normal residence
deadbolt.  One solution is the eletromagnet lock, although this requires
about 200ma continuous power and is ahrd to override in case of failure or
if the landlord needs to get in.

We found a solution that does not require modification.  It re-uses the
existing door lock cylinder, but adds a solenoid actuator.  It's designed
for retrofit and fits in the space occupied by the old hardware, so it's
easily removed if you move out.

Check out:
http://www.sdcsecurity.com/mngmoc.aspx?id=57

It appears that these are available to work with many common brands of lock
cylinder.

Arclight