[hackerspaces] museums and hackerspaces

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 25 01:43:37 CEST 2009

I used to work in a company that made museum exhibits.  Now I'm a founding member of Noisebridge in San Francisco.  Noisebridge is a non-profit, with a mission of education.  Teaching kids (of all ages) is important to me and a majority of people at our space.  It seems like there's a lot that could be gained by groups collaborating with one another.  Working with schools is obvious, and collaborating with other geeky groups is obvious.  Collaborating with other hacker spaces is obviously obvious.  But I'm not sure why museums hasn't been obvious to me.  Yet it should be.  Though there are many differences, there's a lot of overlap with what we want at Noisebridge and what cool museums like The Exploratorium want.

Maybe some projects at hacker spaces would be well suited for exhibits at museums.  Maybe museums could provide space for classes or workshops.  If an exhibit at a museum is being developed, maybe hacker spaces can provide people and other resources.  These are a few things I can think of off the top of my head (while sitting on a bus stuck in traffic between NYC and Boston).

Mitch.