[hackerspaces] museums and hackerspaces

Nina Simon nina at museumtwo.com
Fri Apr 24 22:06:01 CEST 2009

Hi folks,

I'm an interactive museum exhibit designer who has been pretty
freaking excited to learn about hackerspaces.  I got into the science
museum business originally as a pinball machine hacker and loved
sharing electronics insanity with people who never imagined they could
make a lie detector/robot/explosion/etc.

I wrote a blog post about hackerspaces and their potential connection
to museum spaces here: http://museumtwo.blogspot.com/2009/04/hackerspaces-diy-science-centers-for.html

I've had a few museum exhibit directors write to me with interest in
how they might connect to local groups/become a resource or space for
hackerly-minded-adults.  I'm curious whether you think that
hackerspaces could reasonably exist with/inside/alongside museums and
whether you see potential value there or just a mess of rules and
screaming kids you don't want to deal with.

Either way, I'm inspired and energized.  Thanks.

Nina

Nina Simon
Museum 2.0 - www.museumtwo.com

831.331.5460
nina at museumtwo.com
1040 Mystery Spot Road
Santa Cruz, CA 95065
skype, twitter, yahooIM, flickr, facebook: ninaksimon