[sudoroom] separation of politics and hackerspace?

Patrik D'haeseleer patrikd at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:29:49 CEST 2012

I think Jenny hit the nail on the head for me. Hackerspaces are
fundamentally about community - about working on stuff with friends.
That is what distinguishes them from co-working spaces or a shared
high-tech toolshed like TechShop. And the community of people I want
to hang out with tend to include people that care about social
justice. But that does not mean that this is the only kind of projects
I want to work on with them.

I you'd like to brew a batch of beer at SudoRoom, sometimes you really
don't care about what statement you're making about
self-sustainability, the slow food movement, or about "sticking it" to
multinational beer conglomerates. Sometimes you just want to brew a
batch of beer with friends...

> I for one have no interest in co-creating in a space that is essentially a
> coworking space or coffeeshop (there are plenty of those already), where
> people come to take up space in isolation, working on things that are not
> relevant to the community in which they are ensconced. I want people to come
> to Sudo Room to hack on innovative and educational projects, the very nature
> of which are at once collaborative and empowering - in an open environment
> where everyone is both teacher and learner.
>
> Given the foci of folks who show up to meetings, many of those projects will
> be geared around citizen science and local activism - though by no means
> restricted to those areas!

Patrik