[sudoroom] Art Murmur membership application

Eddan Katz eddan at oaklandlocal.com
Wed Jul 25 07:02:26 CEST 2012

Tracy et al. Sudo Artists -

Did we end up doing anything further about being members of Art Murmur
after your message below? Do Sudo artists think it's worth being
officially connected? According to the Art Murmur membership guidelines
(http://oaklandartmurmur.org/images/stories/docs/oam-membership-guidelines-application.pdf),
galleries or mixed-use spaces participating in First Fridays receive the
following benefits:

  * Representation on the Art Murmur map and postcard, which will be
    printed as needed.
  * Representation on the Art Murmur website, with ability to update
    your events.
  * Access to post on the Oakland Art Murmur Facebook page.
  * Opportunity to participate in Saturday Stroll, which is marketed
    with its own postcard, ad campaign, program listings, and press
    campaign.
  * Opportunity to participate in the annual Murmurama event, which
    takes place on the third Saturday in May.
  * Opportunity to lead a guided tour of OAM galleries, which is a great
    way to bring new people to your venue.
  * Sticker to identify you as an Oakland Art Murmur member, and
    temporary signs that wrap around poles, to install when you are open
    or on First Friday.
  * Networking and press opportunities as they arise.

As Tracy described in her earlier email below, the only real obstacle to
our joining is the cost - $100 one time application fee and then
$175/year membership.

If we do join (and probably even if we don't), it seems like a good idea
to create some way of regularly organizing events around Art Murmur.
There was an ad hoc list of a few people who expressed interest in
helping out, but there wasn't much of a coordinated effort. Tracy's
set-up in the box office was awesome last month, but we're going to need
more reliable participation for this to work. While an ad hoc group
makes sense for particular projects, I think some kind of stable, but
dynamic group of Sudo folk, even if just a few people, could really help
round up participation for displaying the art people make anyhow as well
as other coordination as required. I propose we form something like a
Dynamic Association for Displayed Art (DADA) that rotates active
contributors each month based on the particular installations and
projects are going on. Documenting how we go about it each month on the
Sudo Wiki would also be really helpful for coordinating future events
more efficiently.

Given the Ferro Fluids phenomena transpiring in Sudo Room and now the
arrival of a giant papier-maché cruise-ship, we should get some Sudo
folks on a cc:ed list to communicate about the Aug. 3 Art Murmur. This
group can solicit people's art, make sure projectors, etc. are set up,
make sure there are cups to accompany the wine, make sure teenagers
don't exceed their turn playing Frogger, and other logistics evidently
requiring organization.

I want to put together a 'happening' connected to the box office maximum
occupancy experiment on Aug. 3, if anyone else wants to help out with
that. And with the Ghostbusters showing at the Paramount - it would also
be great to get some help with the 8.5 ft. inflatable Stay Puft
Marshmallow Men (which ended up taking more than three hours to hang
from the roof of 2135 Broadway, even with the landlord George's assistance.)

So since the August First Friday Art Murmur is now coming upon us in a
week and a half and with the possibility of also doing something for the
Saturday Stroll, we should find out who's interested in being in the
DADA committee for August. Following up on yesterday's meeting minutes
about Art Murmur (https://pad.riseup.net/p/sudoroom), please let Tracy
(kinetical at comcast.net) and/or me know and we'll start off the planning
discussion.

-Eddan
[7/2012 DADA collaborator]

On 6/23/12 5:37 PM, Tracy Jacobs wrote:
> [...]
>
> Tracy
>
> On Jun 23, 2012, at 5:13 PM, Hilary Naylor wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>  I joined the mailing list and attended the kick-off party because of
>> my volunteer work at MetWest high school in Oakland. The program there
>> is called "Mouse Squad" <http://ca.mousesquad.org>. It teaches
>> students to be the Tech Help Team for their school (as the District
>> does not have nearly enough techs to serve all the schools). When we
>> asked the students at the beginning of the semester what they would
>> like to learn, they said "hacking." So I set out to learn about
>> hacking. I met Mitch Altman and Praveen Sinha at the kick-off party
>> and invited them to come and talk to the students. Which they did, and
>> the students were very excited and interested to learn about
>> hackerspaces. We also ordered Arduinos and electronics kits for the
>> class, but unfortunately something went wrong with the order and they
>> never arrived. Maybe next year! So now I would like to learn more
>> about Arduinos and what you can do with them.
>>  In my non-volunteer life, I am a technology consultant for Oakland
>> schools and nonprofits, mostly trouble-shooting and coaching teachers,
>> some technology planning. (www.a2zed.us) My background is cognitive
>> psychology and information processing -- many years in research at
>> UCSF.
>>  I am interested in helping sudoroom with fundraising.
>>  I look forward to meeting you all sometime soon.
>> cheers
>> Hilary
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Matthew Senate
>> <mattsenate at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> NOTE: If you haven't said hello yet, I cordially invite you to drop
>>> us a
>>> line, in brevity if you must! Even if you're a curious on-looker or
>>> other
>>> quiet-type!
>>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Glad to see the thread still going!
>>>
>>> I was raised on fast-food and television in The (original) Valley of
>>> Los
>>> Angeles County. Now I live in Oakland, slowly transplanting family
>>> members
>>> to the bay area. I work at the Public Library of Science, and while
>>> I wish
>>> to break free of the typical work doldrums, I am also quite
>>> privileged--so
>>> much so that in another set of circumstances, I would probably do my
>>> work
>>> for free!
>>>
>>> Some call my generation millenials, others forsaken. I believe we
>>> live in a
>>> critical age where power is concentrated and many face needless
>>> injustice--but also an inspirational period (just look at this
>>> year!) full
>>> of people who remind us of so many crucial (yet simple) concepts.
>>> Thoughts:
>>>
>>> 1. Space: humans have volume, we take up room.
>>> 2. Time: none of us have much of it.
>>> 3. Humility: integral response to the vastness of 1 and 2.