[sudoroom] raspberry pi mobile phone network

Andrew andrew at roshambomedia.com
Sun Dec 23 04:23:31 CET 2012

It's actually possible to do this legally. I am no lawyer, I don't even
have a ham license, but from what I understand you can operate in the
900mhz range with a ham license and most modern phones will pick it up.
There are a few more details like you have to broadcast your ID or what
not, but it's possible and people have done it. (see NinjaTel, and this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU8hg4FTm0g ).

--Andrew

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Leonid Kozhukh <len at ligertail.com> wrote:

> quick google search yields an open source alternative:
> http://dangerousprototypes.com/2012/03/20/introducing-rtl-sdr-a-20-sdr/
>
> even at $1k price point, remember you are replacing a 200ft hunk of metal
> + electronics that many people have died servicing. these are the types of
> things that im perfectly willing to take on legal risk and find financing
> for as they are that important and impactful...
>

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Steve Berl <steveberl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In the video that "extra hardware" is an Ettus Research USRP SDR radio.
>> Probably cost around $1000.
>>
>> You also wouldn't want to do this outdoors because your base station
>> would interfere with the commercial cell phone base stations, and I think
>> the phone company would hunt you down pretty quickly.
>>
>> Now if you could figure out how to make your own SIM cards, and had
>> unlocked phones ....
>>
>> -steve
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Leonid Kozhukh <len at ligertail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  apparently its possible (illegal) to replace large cell towers with
>>> raspberry pis and open source software:
>>> http://www.newelectronics.co.uk/electronics-news/basestation-created-on-raspberry-pi/46960/
>>>
>>> anyone down to get this working?
>>>
>>> --