[sudoroom] Common Flowers Flower Commons

Evan Martin teleomorph at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 07:40:05 CET 2011

10 years ago I also shared this (probably not uncommon) idea of genetically
altering flowers for UV reactive colors (or even phosphorescence).  Imagine
flicking a black-light on in your backyard during a party and having
rainbows of fluoro-flowers glow in the night.  Perhaps even getting flares
and multi-color streaks using multiple fluorescent protein and/or viruses
such as those used in tulips.   I still stunned this still hasn't taken off
more since non-edible plants wouldn't cause much controversy, and what with
Avatar's bioluminescent Pandora, people obviously are keen to this
other-worldly, futuristic aesthetic.   I know it's been done before but
never seemed to enter any markets.  Maybe it's very challenging, but using
genetic tricks to create weird and unusual decorative plants could be a fun
future project (cottage industry?) when it becomes more affordable.
 Certainly the new potential forms of floral beauty through genetic
tinkering will prove to be diverse and inexhaustible.