[Spaceapi-devel] 0.13 suggestions

Andrew Elwell andrew.elwell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 11:03:02 CEST 2013

Hi there,

> I'm not sure if this is really wanted by the community. Dynamic versioning
> means that the directory _must_ poll every spaceapi json every XX seconds in
> order to get the 'open' state.

eh? I think we've mis-understand each other - having a specific
version in the path related to the URL means that an app for version 1
won't break when we start testing new features and apps with version 2
as they have a slightly different endpoint.

> At the moment I cache the JSONs once a day except the space defines
> explicitly a cache schedule.

ah OK - but do you need to cache the JSON itself (OK much of the
metadata is static and doesn't change frequently - how often do spaces
change address) as the status open/closed is pointless being cached
for 24h

> Now and then new spaceapi web apps are developped which poll the spaces, we
> ask if the directory is allowed to poll every 30 seconds.

in which case why not make the 'directory' just that - a list of
endpoints for apps to go and choose from - I may be interested in the
open closed status of those in my city but not others

I have a feeling we're mis understanding each others goals here. sketch time?

Andrew