[foodhackingbase] 31C3 Kombucha Flavouring

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck algoldor at foodhackingbase.org
Fri Jan 16 14:38:37 CET 2015

Hi Alex and all,
the two flavours of kombucha which we did were indeed mate (organic, non
roasted) and the second was earl greay tea (black tea in this case with
bergamot essential oil). The amounts I believe were 30 g of mate (hot
infusiom in approximately 1 l of water (100C) for 20 min or so, per 10 l
of brew = 0.3% (w/v, 30 g). The earl grey was likely to be similar
ammount, I think it was 25 g, again hot infusion (100C) but in this case
just 5-10 min to avoid the extra bitternes. Both brews were started as
0.5% (w/v; 50 g) of black tea, 7% (w/v; 700 g) of ligh brown organic
sugar for 10 l of usual tap water (the total brew was actually around 22
l of volume but the ratios are as mentioned).

The milk kefir ferments were flavoured with "energy mate mix" which
tasted as RedBull and the second flavour was ginger beer flavoured with
2% (w/v; 200 g) of freshly shreded ginger, hot infusion boiled for 5 min
or so and let to cool down, strained afterwards, some mint (later on too
pronounced, not sure about exact amount, would not go over 10 g based on
the previous experience - dry one seems stronger than fresh one) and
"artifical lemon juice" (just some 15 ml or so I think, fresh lemon
juice or tangerine juice, lime would be better.

I will try to make a list of flavours, here is a link to an old post
which I did years ago for Tastebridge

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Kombucha_Brewing_Manual

we need to update it and upload it to the fhb wiki. Anyone intersted in
colaborating? It should be done within a week or so of reasonable
cooperation and would be very handy we are being asked about this quite
often.

Talk to you soon,

FAA

On 2015-01-16 18:13, Alexander Dietrich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was going to write down the ratios for how the Kombucha was
> flavoured at 31C3, but of course I forgot.
>
> Can you post it on the list? One batch was Earl Grey and the other was
> Mate + another Tea, IIRC.
>
> Thanks,
> Alexander

Disclaimer - there are other people who have access to this email
account, please be aware of that it is part of the design. For "highly
private communication" use algoldor at yahoo.com