[foodhackingbase] Alcohol

Ingo Weidauer i.weidauer at gmx.net
Sat Jan 25 11:22:19 CET 2014

Hey Steffen,

When brewing beer you can measure the original wort before and after
fermentation with an hydrometer or refractometer.
With this calculation (I can find the formula later, when you are
interested) you can calculate the alcohol.
http://fabier.de/biercalcs.html
<http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/original.html> --> Alkoholgehalt
des endvergorenen Bieres.

As the amount of sugar in ginger beer before and after might not differ
so  much don't know how good it works. But it might be a hint.

Sincerely,
Ingo

Am 25.01.2014 04:21, schrieb Steffen Beyer:
> Food loving hackers of the world,
>
> now my ginger beer is bottled and I'm wondering how to measure its
> alcohol content.
>
> How do you do it?
>
> A refractometer¹ might work, but I don't really understand the
> principle. It can measure the sugar volume proportion via the
> refraction. But the devices seem to have an absolute alcohol scale. The
> amount of sugar I added does not matter?
>
> Sincerely,

---